Wednesday, May 21, 2014

As a toddler learns to say "sorry," her father reflects on finding hope for forgiveness. 
Read the post here.

Not registered to receive daily?   Signup 

A component of FaithND, an initiative of the Notre Dame Alumni Association.

5/21/2014

Gospel Reading
 Gospel - May 21, 2014
Wednesday of the Fifth Week of Easter
JN 15:1-8


Jesus said to his disciples, “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. 

“You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. 

“I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.”

New Revised Standard Version Bible: Catholic Edition, copyright 1989, 1993, Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.Approved by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. 


 
 Reflection - May 21, 2014
There is a great myth that is popular among many young people. I have heard some say that they are "spiritual but not religious." It seems to me that a person who is spiritual is also religious by necessity. In other words, no one can be spiritual in a vacuum; one needs some kind of expression of that spirituality, some concrete way to make that spirituality real. That is what religion does—it connects us to God through a community, and through ritual and prayer and song. These things make real what we believe. And we need those kinds of connections; we need to connect with God through habits and fellowship.

Today's Gospel is focused on the seventh (of seven) "I am" statements in the Gospel of John. Over and over again, Jesus is essentially saying, "Whatever you need, I AM. Are you hungry? I am the Bread of Life. Are you in the dark? I am the Light of the World. Are you lost? I am the Gate and I am Good Shepherd, who will seek and find you and call you by name. Are you caught up in death? I am the Resurrection and the Life, and I am the Way, the Truth and the Life." 

Today Jesus says to us, "Are you disconnected? I am the Vine, you are the branches, and my Father is the vinegrower." In other words, we all fit together in God's world—this is where we belong and are connected, where we live and abide. Apart from that source, apart from that energy, eventually we cease to exist. 

"Abide in me," Jesus says, "as I abide in you." The word "abide" appears eight times in these few verses, so it is obviously an important concept in this Gospel. The original word is also translated as "stay" or "remain," and this is what prayer is all about. The challenge of prayer is to "stay" with God, to connect and remain connected. To rephrase an old dictum, "Don't just do something, sit there!" 

Often we find ourselves busy about many things when we are called to stop all of our activity and simply "abide" with God. In the end, as Jesus keeps telling us over and over again, all we really need is God.

Father Ed Shea, O.F.M, ‘78


 
Today's Prayer
 Prayer - May 21, 2014
Lord, you made us your disciples through Baptism and you continue to confirm us in our faith through Word and Sacrament. Draw us closer to yourself, as branches to the vine, by every measure of grace and in every moment of our days. As always, we ask that you help us to trust in the presence of your Spirit and the mystery of the cross, our only hope. We ask all this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen! 

Father Michael Belinsky, C.S.C.


 
 St. Constantine the Great, who ended the persecution of Christians and beheld a saving vision of the cross, pray for us!  Read more...
 
 Copyright © 2014 University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556  Phone: 574-631-6000
faith@nd.edu    Subscribe via email
 

You are subscribed to email updates fromGospel Reflections from Notre Dame 
To stop receiving these emails, click here.
Notre Dame Alumni Association | Contact
myNotreDame Help Desk Phone: 574-631-1579 Email: onlinehelp@alumni.nd.edu

0 comments:

Post a Comment