Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Join me in praying the Pentecost Novena


You are invited...

 

Often, people wonder how to mark the Feast of Pentecost, where Christians celebrate the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives and in our Church. This year, Pentecost is taking place on Sunday the 8th of June, and you are invited to join others around the world in prayer to mark the nine days between Ascension (2nd June) and the Pentecost Vigil.





PENTECOST NOVENA

(9 days leading to Pentecost.)

Holy Spirit, third Person of the Blessed Trinity, 
Spirit of truth, love, and holiness, 
proceeding from the Father and the Son, 
and equal to Them in all things, 
I adore You with all my heart.

Holy Spirit, confiding in Your deep, 
personal love for me, 
I am making this novena for the following request, 
if it should be Your holy Will to grant it: 

(State Your request here...)

Teach me, Divine Spirit, 
to know and seek my last end; 
grant me the holy fear of God; 
grant me true contrition and patience. 
Do not let me fall into sin. 
Give me an increase of faith, hope, and charity, 
and bring forth in my soul 
all the virtues proper to my state of life.

Make me a faithful disciple of Jesus 
and an obedient child of the Church. 
Give me efficacious grace 
sufficient to keep the Commandments 
and to receive the Sacraments worthily. 
Give me the four Cardinal Virtues, 
Your Seven Gifts, 
Your Twelve Fruits. 
Raise me to perfection in the state of life 
to which you have called me 
and lead me through a happy death to everlasting life. 
I ask this through Christ our Lord.

Holy Spirit, Divine Spirit of light and love, 
I consecrate to you my understanding, 
heart, and will, my whole being, 
for time and for eternity. 
May my understanding be always submissive 
to Your heavenly inspirations 
and to the teaching of the Catholic Church, 
of which You are the infallible Guide. 
May my heart be ever inflamed with the love of God 
and of my neighbour. 
May my will be ever conformed to the Divine Will. 
May my whole life be faithful 
to the imitation of the life and virtues of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, 
to Whom with the Father and You 
be honour and glory forever.

God, Holy Spirit, Infinite Love of the Father and the Son, 
through the pure hands of Mary, 
Your Immaculate Spouse, 
I place myself this day, 
and all the days of my life, 
upon Your chosen altar, 
the Divine Heart of Jesus, 
as a sacrifice to You, consuming fire, 
being firmly resolved now more than ever 
to hear Your voice 
and to do in all things Your most holy and adorable Will. 
For the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Blessed Spirit of Wisdom, 
help me to seek God. 
Make Him the centre of my life and order my life to Him, 
so that love and harmony may reign in my soul.

Blessed Spirit of Understanding, 
enlighten my mind, 
that I may know and love the truths of faith 
and make them truly my own.

Blessed Spirit of Counsel, 
enlighten and guide me in all my ways, 
that I may always know and do Your holy Will. 
Make me prudent and courageous.

Blessed Spirit of Fortitude, 
uphold my soul in every time of trouble or adversity. 
Make me loyal and confident.

Blessed Spirit of Knowledge, 
help me to know good from evil. 
Teach me to do what is right in the sight of God. 
Give me clear vision and firmness in decision.

Blessed Spirit of Piety, 
possess my heart, 
incline it to a true faith in You, 
to a holy love of You, my God, 
that with my whole soul I may seek You, 
Who are my Father, and find You, 
my best, my truest joy.

Blessed Spirit of Holy Fear, 
penetrate my inmost heart 
that I may ever be mindful of Your presence. 
Make me fly from sin, 
and give me intense reverence for God 
and for my fellow men who are made in God’s image.

Prayer

Grant, we beg of You, Almighty God, 
that we may so please Your Holy Spirit by our earnest prayers, 
that we may, by His grace, 
be freed from all temptations and merit 
to receive the forgiveness of our sins. 
Through Christ our Lord. 

Amen.

Say 1 Our Father... 
Say 1 Hail Mary... 
and 
Say 1 Glory Be... 
 Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful,
enkindle in them the fire of Thy Love.
Send forth Thy Spirit and they shall be created,
and Thou shalt renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray. 

O God, You have taught the hearts of Your faithful people 
by sending them the light of Your Holy Spirit. 
Grant us by the same Spirit to have a right judgment in all things 
and evermore to rejoice in His holy comfort. 
Through Christ our Lord. 

Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment